Thursday, September 18, 2014

Gluten Free Sesame Orange Chicken




As much as I love to cook, I am a BIG fan of takeout. It's easy, reliable, and obviously delish. But let's not forget that one other thing that takeout normally is: unhealthy. After a long day of work yesterday, all I wanted was to be bad and order in. But I knew I would regret it later, so I opted to cook something similar to a Chinese takeout dish. And whaddaayaknow, it perfectly hit the spot!


Here's what you'll need for your own little sesame chicken bowl:
  • Chicken breasts (I used all natural, organic tenders from TJs)
  • 1 Orange
  • 1-2 bell peppers
  • Soy sauce (I found a Gluten free soy sauce with 50% less sodium!!)
  • Sesame seeds
  • Chili flakes (optional, if you like heat)
Chop up your chickens into bit sized pieces...



Squeeze in the juice of half your orange. I used one of these things, so a lot of pulp got in there, but I figured it would be good for flavor...


Here's a close up of the gluten free soy sauce I found at Whole Foods, woohoo! I actually use soy sauce a lot when cooking, so I was pretty stoked to find this healthier alternative...


A wee bit over 2 tablespoons into the bowl...


Add in a good sprinkling of sesame seeds and chili flakes if you're going for heat...


Mix it all up to make sure the chickens are coated in your sauce and leave to marinate for a bit. I made my side dish while I waited; around 15 minutes...


When you're ready to cook, chop up your bell pepper (I only had one, but two would have def been better) and have the other half of your orange near by and ready...


Toss the chickens into a medium heat skillet with a little drizzle of olive oil...


Stir around so they cook pretty evenly...


When the pan looked like it was lacking in liquid, I added a few more shakes of the soy sauce and squeezed in the rest of the orange. Stir then cover and leave to cook through (like 3 minutes)...



I tossed in my peppers at the last second, just so that they would warm through slightly, but not lose their crunch. Mix them around so they get coated in the sauce...


And there you have it! Yummy "Chinese takeout" with probs half the calories/carbs! For more of a "stir-fry" feel, you could always add in some veggies - broccoli and/or green beans would be delish. Just toss them in when you add the peppers. If you have frozen veggies, add them in a little earlier (before you cover the pan) so that you don't overcook the chicken.


Enjoy!

xo,
The Ging Twins

No comments:

Post a Comment